MA Applied Linguistics (TEFL)
- Duration Full Time 1 year, Par Time 2 years plus
- Class Duration
- Seats Available 50 Student
- Level Master
ABOUT THE COURSE
The MA in Applied Linguistics (TEFL) offers an advanced level professional qualification for practising and aspiring teachers of English, but also for materials developers, assessment and examination/test paper writers and researchers in Applied Linguistics. You will focus on areas such as the relationship between linguistics and second language learning, the methodology and techniques of language teaching and the appropriateness and development of materials for language teaching and learning purposes. You will also examine various current issues in ELT and have the opportunity to carry out a major piece of individual research on a topic of your interest. Learning Outcome Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the Language systems of English: Phonology, Grammar and Lexis;
- critically evaluate and develop materials for specific language teaching and learning contexts;
- demonstrate critical and in-depth understanding of the language teaching and learning contexts and the approaches and methods involved also in relation to different specific language aspects;
- demonstrate enhanced lesson planning and teaching skills particularly in designing, justifying, delivering and critically evaluating your lesson plans for language teaching and learning purposes;
- demonstrate insight and critical understanding of research literature, analysing data from a variety of sources for research management purposes in relation to a specific area relevant to your studies;
- demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate aspects of research design;
- demonstrate an ability to conduct original research in at least one area relevant to language teaching and learning and to Applied Linguistics in general.
Entry requirements MA Applied Linguistics (TEFL) - for non-native speakers of English IELTS 6.5 overall, or equivalent, with no score lower than 6.0. A good first degree, and/or a recognised TEFL/TESOL certificate and/or relevant teaching experience.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Modules : Exploring Research: Concepts and Methods, The Methodology of Language Teaching, The Language System and Language Teaching, Issue in Second Language Acquisition, Materials Development for Language Teaching and Learning, Teaching Practice, Dissertation in Applied Linguistics and ELT/ The MA in Applied Linguistics (TEFL) requires you to accumulate 180 credits to complete the course. The normal Duration for full-time students in one calendar year divided into three semesters. The course may also be taken part-time over two years. Each unit runs over approximately 15 weeks including the assessment period.